One of our passions at Igloo Letterpress is passing on a little bit of the vast history of printing to each and every person that visits our studio and shop. And if you'd like to learn more and actually get a little ink under your fingernails, we offer a variety of classes. Pre-registration is encouraged, and you can find a list of classes being offered below:
CLASSES & WORKSHOPS
SPECIAL HOLIDAY CLASSES
Bookmaking Class: Doctor Who Book: River Song's TARDIS Journal
- Make your fanboy or fangirl proud by creating your own River Song TARDIS notebook. In this class, you will hand-stitch a multi-signature text block to be bound into a custom hardback journal with inlaid TARDIS design. Inspired by the fantastic Doctor Who, you'll want to keep this book for all time. (The 10+ class will use a premade perfect-bound text block.) REGISTER HERE
Gold Foiling Class
- Try your hand at foiling for that glinting beautiful look! You will get to choose from a variety of papers and foil colors and hand-set a name, a word or two, or a monogram a flat notecard. You will take home 10 cards and matching envelopes. Because of the machines used, this class is best for ages 15 and up. REGISTER HERE
Fresh Evergreen Wreath Making Class
- Using a variety of beautiful mixed greens, learn how to make your very own fresh evergreen wreath. Also choose from a number of beautiful wired ribbons and learn how to make stunning bows for all occasions. Materials include mixed evergreens, a 20" wreath form, various berries, and 3" wired ribbon. We have brought in fabulous floral designer and holiday decor creator Caitlin Foley to teach this fun class, perfect for ages 16 and up. REGISTER HERE
Personalized Holiday Card Workshop
Bring the whole family to design and print your holiday cards this year! Using our antique wood type or lead type, hand-set your own name, greeting, or monogram on an A6 folded 1-color card. Or choose one of a variety of holiday images! You will get to take home 30 cards and matching envelopes. This outing is perfect for the whole family! REGISTER HERE
Hand Lettered Gift Wrap Workshop
- Join us to create your own gift wrap. We will be teaching the basics of hand-lettering with our own handmade black walnut ink (which you get to keep a jar of)! We will then be using a variety of techniques for other sheets, including custom stamping, letterpress, and watercolor washes. You will get a total of 6 sheets of letterpress gift wrap, and 8 total sheets of high-quality paper to try your techniques on! REGISTER HERE
REGULARLY SCHEDULED CLASSES
This is a great starting class if you've never touched a press or if you're getting back into it after a time away. You will learn to set type, print on a Vandercook #4 proof press, a clamshell press and go home with a handful of personalized items.
$75pp, geared for ages 14+, classes limited to 5 people
If you are a graphic designer, illustrator, creative director, etc..., and you are interested in learning more about how to design for letterpress, this class will help you prepare files for platemaking, teach you the tricks of a great letterpress design, and give you a solid overview of the process.
$75pp, geared for ages 18+, classes limited to 5 people, knowledge of the Adobe Creative suite preferred
Try your hand at heat-process foiling. Using metal type and images, you can choose from a variety of fonts to create a name, word, monogram, or phrase and print 10 copies of a flat notecard on the paper of your choice. You will go home with 10 notecards and matching envelopes
$35pp, geared for ages 15+, classes limited to 6 people
- There are many ways to bind a book, and we'll teach you some of the most fun! As a class, we will choose the styles we will learn, and each student will get to take home their books.
- $75pp, geared for ages 14+, classes limited to 5 people
- Do you have a name, date, short quote, or quip you'd love to see in letterpress? In this class, we will hand-set wood and lead type and images to create a personalized one-of-a-kind 8x10 poster. Students will take home up to 6 copies of their creation.
- $50pp, geared for ages 14+, poster content may be limited based on type, time, and size constraints, classes limited to 5 peopl
- Creating a beautiful hand-bound journal is an experience to remember and makes a lovely family book or gift. Each student will bind one large hardback journal to take home.
- $50pp, geared for ages 14+, classes limited to 5 people
- The perfect melding of printing and binding! Choose a few words or letters, letterpress print the cover, and then attach it to a perfect-bound blank text block to create 2 books with the same design. Great for gifts or to keep for yourself!
- $40pp, geared for all ages, classes limited to 5 people
- Perfect for adding that personal touch to your holiday mailing, and fun for everyone in the family.
- $Various, geared for all ages, each workshop is individual
- Join us if you're interested in printing your own set of letterpress stationery, either for yourself, your business, or a gift. This is a great outing for the whole family!
- $Various, geared for all ages, each workshop is individual
GROUP CLASSES & EVENTS
CUSTOM WORKSHOPS & PARTIES
Let Igloo host a unique event that will be sure to make an impression with your guests!
- Bookbinding Workshop: Select from a variety of softcover or hardcover designs. Each participant makes their own book to keep. Great for birthdays and book clubs. (1 to 2 hours, $15 - $25 per person)
- Letterpress shower: Guests print thank you notes for the honored guest (wedding couple, new parents) and a few to take home for themselves! ($175 for 2 hours and 75 notecards)
- Letterpress Greeting Cards: Provide your own design, or choose from the Igloo collection of vintage type and images to print original note cards. ($150 minimum cost, final price depends on design)
- Wedding Invitation Printing: A special bonding opportunity for families to work together. (please contact for price information)
Custom Workshops begin at $75 an hour.
Custom Parties begin at $200 for a three-hour event.
Pricing will be provided based on number of participants and project selected.
To set up a custom workshop or party, call 614.787.5528 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.